Friday, November 19, 2010

Harry Potter and the Shower of the Stars.. Ha!

Well folks... Harry Potter is definitely beginning to end and unfortunately, it's making me rather nostalgic - and I hate that. But the film tonight was superb - leaving the audience reeling with a cliffhanger. It's one of those things where you're sitting there going, 'God this is great. I really don't want it to end' and every few minutes you think... 'Oh this must be it' - but it's not. And then just as the end arrives you think 'Nah, this isn't the ending' and then BAM! It's over...
 The only bad thing about it was that I was bursting for a piss twenty minutes into the film. The cinema was jam-packed (even better) and the whole row was full. I was right in the corner by the wall with Orlaith next to me saying "You should have gone with me before it started. I told you so. You can't go now though; you might miss something"
 Easy for her to say. She doesn't understand the films anyways. No matter how many times you explain it to her she still comes out with "Right - so he has a scar...?"

I managed to hold it in throught the entire film. (not that you want to know...) but I did. And it was totally worth it! I loved how well it went to the book - nsync! I'm re-reading them again, but I'm only on 'The Chamber of Secrets'... for like what, the millionth time? But there's so much to take in that I keep forgetting what all the big important stuff is about and I like keeping up. I love subliminal messages in films/tv shows; it makes them worth watching and you're actually not ashamed to be sucked into them. I'm such a technophobe, but every now and then you come across the odd exception. Harry Potter will always be one of those things. We've loved him for 10 years. He's practically our childhood.
Helena Bohem Carter is definitely my favourite actress. There. I've picked a female role I love.

On the way back, we toddled on down to Mickey D's and finally! After weeks of wishing for a shooting star - woosh! - across the sky and hurrah! - I made a wish. What for? I can't tell you. Because then it won't come true.
 I don't know why I find the sky so fascinating; especially at night... but my head is always up in the clouds anyways. It's a good place to be. As down to earth as I may be, it's nice having a sense of 'something else'... Like the other night witnessing the meteor shower. I love stuff like that. And I love being able to share it too, but it seems that out of everyone I know, I was the only one to see it. And people don't usually care, either. I love being out in Slane in Orlaith's, because her windows are on the roof and the stars are immaculate out there. There aren't any streetlights to block them. In town, you get the odd clear night when the stars shine and the moon is full - like tonight - but most of the time it's usually raining or the town lights are too bright.
 I love it 10 times more in Italy where the sky is illuminous at night and you never fail to see the stars. It's always clear there and there definitely aren't any lights to block the view. I love being able to match up the constellations and pick out the brightest. Last week a girl in my class said that 'looking at the stars is like looking at the past in the present' - I thought that was a nice saying, and it was true, too.

Christ. You can tell I'm in one of those meloncholy moods, can't you? I'm blabbering on about the skies for eff sake! It's no wonder I'm such a dreamer. I'd hang my head out the window all night tonight if I didn't hate the cold as much as I do. And you know how much I hate the cold.
 I'm in the kitchen now and the light is on, so it's difficult to see out the back door. I know someone who hates the idea of not being able to see outside glass windows, but people can see inside. I never really gave it much thought, but it is a pretty freaky idea. Only if you think there's actually someone outside... I shivered.
 Right now, the only thing I can see is a really bright star. One, out of the thousands that are out tonight. I know the name of this one. It's Sirius, the dog star. It's the brighest in the night sky, twice as bright as Canopus, the second brighest star. Although it may seem like you're looking at one star with the naked eye, you're actually looking at a binary star system.. blah blah blah, right? I find this absolutely mind-blowing.

When I was in primary school, we took a trip to a college for some sort of astronomy lesson. They had us all sit in the ground of this dome like tent where the projected stars around the inside and showed us the meanings and how they worked. I always wanted one of those star-light yokes for my bedroom, but the one we got wasn't the same and the batteries died a day later. We sent it back and I never got another one. Anyways, it was this lesson that made me fall in love with the night sky and everything to do with it. In fact, my favourite quote in the world is to do with what I love most - romance, literature and astronomy.
"Give me my Romeo and, when he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with the night and pay no attention to the garish sun." - William Shakespeare.

God. I really am a sap & a half. It's because my horoscope told me that tomorrow I'm going to be all loved up. With what reason though? There's no one to be loved up with... Although, it did tell me that even so, if I don't have a lover or I'm not planning on confessing my desires for anyone, that I should spend tomorrow being loved up with the only other worthy person in my life - me. Oh how vain! Oh how shallow! Oh the fuck well! I quite like me, so it's a win-win situation for us all.
 Anyways. I'm off to read HP & get lost in the clouds. Ciao..

No comments:

Post a Comment